The Debian Jones Project

"PROMOTING LINUX LITERACY SINCE TUESDAY"
debianjones@yahoo.com
©2005 Keith R. George, Jr -- fair use applies.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Socks, Towels, Underwear... and Linux Docs!

Rinias wrote on 05-11-2005 09:04 PM:
No prob!

how's the weather up there in Binghamton? I've got fond memories of the few weeks I spent up there every summer. It's not the greatest place in the world, but there are nice things about it! Do you live in Binghamton or around it? I've got two aunts, an uncle and a cousin who live there- Front Street, Riverside, and Lee, I think, though it used to be Chestnut. Anyway...

As for the Linux manuals, I think making them simple is going to be harder then you (we) think. But in my opinion, it's worth it!

PS- Debian sure seems to be rockin! Just did a netinstall on amd64 and it's not bad at all!


Debian Jones wrote on 05-12-2005 12:39 AM:
Briefly-- I'm about to run off to the all-night laundrette.

Your family and I share the same basic neighborhood, I think, the West Side. Some may say that Binghamton isn't the best place in the world, but I fucking hate it. It's just that I've been here for 42 of my 47 years, and that's quite enough, thank you! Every walk down the street reminds me of some other walk down the same street twenty years ago, and I just don't like that. My dream is to live in Manhattan.

I guess it's not that bad. At least this is one of our better neighborhoods, and my apartment is in a lovely old building, filled with winding and interlocking hallways, high ceilings, and beautiful hardwood floors.

What I am interested in conveying isn't so much information about Linux, but an approach-- a way to jump right in and learn by doing. Basically, it goes like this:

1. Get a second computer
2. install, install install
3. Back up your data.
4. Be very careful, but in the beginning it's okay to x-root, no matter what anyone tells you.

The idea is that if you're not putting your main system at risk, your data is saved, and you know you can always reinstall if things go wrong, you can go anywhere and do anything without fear. You can log in as root and solve permissions problems in a simple gui way. You can fool
around with different distros, you can try things that may not work out just for the hell of it. Wanna see what slackware looks like? Gentoo? What the hell, give it a shot. That's why I call it Linux Power Newbie. Power is the freedom to experiment without fear. It's how I learned, and I want to create documentation that will facilitate that process. I want to write AROUND that process, not into the center of it. I don't think it will be that hard, because my concern for now is pretty finite. I'm not interested in rewriting all Linux knowledge. I just want to help an ordinary user get his foot in the door. Hard or not, I can't think of anything I'd rather do with my time just now.

I just registed the debianjones.com domain name, and purchased two years of hosting, but I'm probably going to keep posting my antitutorial musings on the blog, try to get people from JustLinux to submit comments, and then when I have accumulated enough material, use the website to publish it in a better organized, more polished form.

Did I say that I was going to be brief? I should know myself better than that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home