The Debian Jones Project

"PROMOTING LINUX LITERACY SINCE TUESDAY"
debianjones@yahoo.com
©2005 Keith R. George, Jr -- fair use applies.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Linux Literacy: taking a stab at defining it.

The following is reprinted from the Just Linux forum.



What I would like to see is what exactly you mean by Linux literacy. Perhaps some sort of check list of things one needs to know to be considered Linux literate.


Well, here's what I think:

You ought to be able to install your system, handle your package manager, manage your root account, use your gui applications, manage your hardware devices (your printer, scanner, and cd burner) and use the shell in a basic, interactive way. Finally, I would add that you should be able to use the available documentation sources (including the community itself) to find the information that you need. I may have left something out, but that 's a pretty good thumbnail sketch.

I'm not the final authority on this. It's my wish that the community, especially those who write the documentation, start working toward a consensus on just what is considered "linux literate".

To an extent, it's really a personal judgement call. If you feel like you can use your computer effectively to do what you want and need, that's what makes you literate. One thing that I've left out of my checklist is lan networking, which is something that just hasn't come up in my everyday use. For others, that may be important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home